DAFC.net
Login:

password:  

Forum List | Football Forum

[ 1 ] -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 -- 5 --      

Topic: Disappointing season?
1. Author:  PARrot        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 18:22

Given that we looked like we could make the top 4 for a few short spells on either side of all the injuries, it seems like a disappointment.
I don`t think finishing 5th in our first season back in the Championship would have been seen as disappointing before the season started.

Good start, shitty luck with injuries, decent recovery to avoid the relegation play-offs, and grab a respectable slot (hopefully), considering all.

Next year will be tough, but I think we will do better.

2. Author:  DBP        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 18:39

We were looking like top 4 was possibility start off the season, then bad luck with injuries and naive management (mcpakes words not mine) meant that wasn’t on the cards.

Thankfully it looks like we have done enough to avoid relegation playoffs in last few weeks so agree hopefully we get geared up, reflect on mistakes and make a serious bid next year

Post Edited (Sat 13 Apr 18:40)

3. Author:  Berkey        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 19:07

Just had a wee look and our strikers have scored in 9 out of 33 games this season. We’ve been very poor upfront and as such it’s been a hard watch at time this season.

The strikers who achieved this are

McCann 4 goals in 3 games
Wighton 4 goals in 3 games
Kane 3 goals in 3 games
Jak 2 goals in 1 game

Unfortunately some of this seasons mistakes will live on next season and will continue to hold us back.

If we can get Walcott signed up that would be a plus. Outside of Kane, the other loans have been meh at best or very poor at worst.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

4. Author:  EastEndTales        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 19:22

How can they score with such poor service? Kane barely saw the ball today and it rarely troubled their goalie.
Pish set up

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749

5. Author:  cfad        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 19:26

No. I said at the start of the season that if we can finish mid table and consolidate after coming up last year, I’d be happy. Given our injuries this season it’s more than acceptable when you take everything in balance. Next season, we need to be pushing for the playoffs however

6. Author:  Socks        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 19:31

I wish folk would stop talking as if our season is now over. Our chance at promotion play-offs is gone after today but we`re not out of it at the bottom. Next week is a big game now, where we really need to get something. I hope the players don`t have the same complacency that some here seem to have.

7. Author:  wulliepar57        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 19:42

Have to agree with you Socks
Some folk getting ahead of themselves , Next week against QP is a must win
And I hope our players actually turn up ,

8. Author:  Row_ZZ        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 19:56

I said I`d take 8th before a ball was kicked. We aren`t there yet, although it seems very unlikely we will finish any lower than 8th at this point.

I think we`d have been shoe-ins for 3rd or 4th if we didn`t have such bad injuries throughout the season.

"A smile might be good!"
"Nothing to smile about in my life"

9. Author:  RossF        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 20:09

With the feel good factor around the club after winning league one so comfortably last season, I think this season has been fairly disappointing. Some players who impressed last season have failed to make the step up and the summer signings were poor. We also failed to bring in a goal scoring striker which could have made a massive difference this season. I wonder where we would be if we’d signed Paton? It’s incredible that they’re 9th place when Paton has scored 16 in the league for them!

We’re certainly not out the woods yet but if we manage to stay up, the positives taken are that we looked down and out over a month ago and the manager managed to change things to get a few important victories, when many (including myself) thought his time was up. The signings in January/February have been more positive as well. We need to ensure we finish as high as possible now and away from danger. Next week is a massive to ensure the pressure is off and we can finally look to next season.

10. Author:  Swifty        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 20:18

Securing 4th place after our horrendous season of injuries would have been a tough ask. Finishing 8th or better is now the target. One more win would
be enough. It’s in our hands. Not much being said about the injury to Benedictus our inspirational leader. Let’s hope we kick on and get that win next week. Should that happen the Management Team needs to get their heads quickly around securing a solid pool of players for a decent shot at a top of the table or play off slot in 2024/25. We can but dream.

11. Author:  Bannockburn Par        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 20:20

Main objective achieved….we need strikers

12. Author:  kelty_par        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 21:20

Yes, very disappointing.

Since we won the league so early, had done so against Falkirk and had reestablished the feelgood factor in the ground, it should have been easy to build on that momentum. Everything in the summer though was a bit "meh" and that led to us not really coming into the season on the crest of a wave. The new kits were reasonably well received but not classics. The St Pauli pre season friendly was a bit of a damp squib and top early in our preparations. Seeing players we were linked to heading elsewhere, seeing players on trial with us not being kffered/rejecting deals, etc. Then when every other club seemed to be signing several players and refreshing their squads, we were making loan moves permanent (no issue with that, especially when they had done so well and had seemingly high ceilings) and not doing an awful lot else.

We made a reasonable start in the Viaplay Cup game at Stark`s Park but we never capitalised on that and when Todd and Ritchie-Hosler were revealed to be out long term it seemed to just darken the mood. I think then was the time we should have looked to make a statement signing - the morale boost alone would have been worth it. Early games in the league were a struggle - much like last season but without the number of wins. Our style in League One was built on a solid defence but we were hardly free scoring and I think a lot of us were worried we`d cough up more chances and take fewer of our own this season without an upgrade at the back and in the striker role. None of our forwards have had good seasons and without Todd in the squad, our midfield struggled to take up the slack.

There have been some utterly horrid individual games, a large number of very dull encounters and a lot of games where by a out 15 minutes in the pattern of "we`re going to create some chances, not take them and lose a close game" looked already set in stone. Losing five times to the Rovers, even if four of them were quite close, is never really acceptable and the cup tie capitulation was a shambles. Tactically we didn`t seem to employ the same flexibility as we did last season and too often persisted with a system that wasn`t working. Too many players were asked to play when not fit, too many players didn`t look up to Championship standard, too many players had bursts of one, two or three games looking good then reverting to the norm. To see an Airdrie side we finished miles ahead of last season adapt better, finish higher and play more attractive football than us has been quite galling. Seeing Raith seemingly wait until we were interested in a player before swooping in was a bit annoying. Seeing Falkirk go undefeated (albeit in a worse league than we were in last season) and doing so with a bit of swagger is a bit annoying.

So yeah, I`d say it`s been a disappointing season. Tone was set early, injuries didn`t help but the football has been quite turgid, home results and performances haven`t been great and in a year when

13. Author:  Bannockburn Par        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 21:35

kelty_par, Sat 13 Apr 21:20

Yes, very disappointing.

Since we won the league so early, had done so against Falkirk and had reestablished the feelgood factor in the ground, it should have been easy to build on that momentum. Everything in the summer though was a bit "meh" and that led to us not really coming into the season on the crest of a wave. The new kits were reasonably well received but not classics. The St Pauli pre season friendly was a bit of a damp squib and top early in our preparations. Seeing players we were linked to heading elsewhere, seeing players on trial with us not being kffered/rejecting deals, etc. Then when every other club seemed to be signing several players and refreshing their squads, we were making loan moves permanent (no issue with that, especially when they had done so well and had seemingly high ceilings) and not doing an awful lot else.

We made a reasonable start in the Viaplay Cup game at Stark`s Park but we never capitalised on that and when Todd and Ritchie-Hosler were revealed to be out long term it seemed to just darken the mood. I think then was the time we should have looked to make a statement signing - the morale boost alone would have been worth it. Early games in the league were a struggle - much like last season but without the number of wins. Our style in League One was built on a solid defence but we were hardly free scoring and I think a lot of us were worried we`d cough up more chances and take fewer of our own this season without an upgrade at the back and in the striker role. None of our forwards have had good seasons and without Todd in the squad, our midfield struggled to take up the slack.

There have been some utterly horrid individual games, a large number of very dull encounters and a lot of games where by a out 15 minutes in the pattern of "we`re going to create some chances, not take them and lose a close game" looked already set in stone. Losing five times to the Rovers, even if four of them were quite close, is never really acceptable and the cup tie capitulation was a shambles. Tactically we didn`t seem to employ the same flexibility as we did last season and too often persisted with a system that wasn`t working. Too many players were asked to play when not fit, too many players didn`t look up to Championship standard, too many players had bursts of one, two or three games looking good then reverting to the norm. To see an Airdrie side we finished miles ahead of last season adapt better, finish higher and play more attractive football than us has been quite galling. Seeing Raith seemingly wait until we were interested in a player before swooping in was a bit annoying. Seeing Falkirk go undefeated (albeit in a worse league than we were in last season) and doing so with a bit of swagger is a bit annoying.

So yeah, I`d say it`s been a disappointing season. Tone was set early, injuries didn`t help but the football has been quite turgid, home results and performances haven`t been great and in a year when

Excellent post!! Sums it up turgid. Mcpake needs to get it sorted or it’s curtains early next season.

14. Author:  LEGEND85        
Date: Sat 13th Apr 2024. 21:56

kelty_par, Sat 13 Apr 21:20

Yes, very disappointing.

Agree with almost everything here.

On the way back from the game tonight some of us were talking about next season and expectations. I don`t think a similar season would be tolerated as much.

15. Author:  Paralex        
Date: Sun 14th Apr 2024. 01:02

Game against QP next week is not a must win. A draw would probably be enough because we would be 6 points clear of them with two games to go and an 8 goal advantage in goal difference. Not that we want to aim low but a draw should just about see us through.

16. Author:  parsfan        
Date: Sun 14th Apr 2024. 01:39

All a matter of perspective.

There have certainly been disappointments during the season.

The season as a whole compared to my expectations beforehand - absolutely.

Compared to where we were a couple of months ago - I`m happy with how it looks like it`s going to end. Not over yet, so that might change, but if we can hold onto fifth I`ll be happy enough under the circumstances.

Have to do better next season though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

17. Author:  OzPar        
Date: Sun 14th Apr 2024. 01:55

Good post, KP. There`s not much to add beyond placing a considerable emphasis on swift dealings in the transfer market this summer. It is a false economy to save a month or two of a player`s salary by delaying the signing of a target. The odds are the player will go elsewhere, as happened last summer.

Looking at the goalscorers` lists in the lower Scottish leagues, there are not too many obvious targets. However, Cove Rangers striker Rumarn Burrell could fit the bill—23 years old, out of contract in the summer, and scoring 20 goals in 31 games so far in League One.

As others have said, if we are to advance next season, we have to lose some of those players on long-term contracts. Yesterday`s debacle confirmed that necessity.

18. Author:  Indiapar        
Date: Sun 14th Apr 2024. 09:21

It depends on your expectations. At the beginning of the seasonI would have taken 5th. Lessons to be learned for sure. This season has been a testing ground for some players. We have gone from the team relegated from this division two years ago to a team that will probably finish mid table. That progress. For sure, there is work to do, and with a season under our belt, we are in a better position to strengthen the team for next year. I am sure the management team will have in their own minds where they want to build on. It`s not always about moving players on. We have relatively young players who will improve others who have had long-term injuries and who are not back to full match fitness or sharpness. As a squad, there is potential and room for improvement. Next season will be a competitive league with Raith and Falkirk. It is going to be good for the fans.

19. Author:  wetherby        
Date: Sun 14th Apr 2024. 09:34

I’ll be happy if we manage to stay in this league.

20. Author:  bigdonnie        
Date: Sun 14th Apr 2024. 16:38

wee need 1 point from queens park then with our better goal difference can relax a bit

donald mcneil

[ 1 ] -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 -- 5 --      

Post your Reply

Your Message:  

By using your account you have implicitly accepted the DAFC.net Forum Rules and agree to be bound by them. You also agree that you will take sole responsibility for your post and indemnify dafc.net on all matters and costs. Refrain from making any potentially libelous comments about anyone
- - -