DAFC.net
Login:

password:  

Forum List | Football Forum

Topic: who`s our English equivalent?
1. Author:  Ronaldo        
Date: Mon 29th Apr 2024. 07:18

I was chatting about football to a work colleague,who`s recently moved to Scotland and was trying to explain what type of club Dunfermline are.

Off the top of my head, I said `We`re a bit like a Scottish Ipswich Town`. I realise English football`s now completely different from the game here, but I suppose I based it on the following ....

both are `provincial clubs` who became big overnight in the early 1960s when they appointed a future international manager.

both have an excellent European pedigree despite being from `the sticks`.

both have caused a major upset in a Cup final, playing against a big city club.

both have spent a fair bit of time in the lower leagues when many consider them a top tier club,

both have maintained a good level of support despite punching below their weight over the years,

both have a close geographical rival that many of their fans consider to be a `wee team`.

It;s just a pity I couldn`t have added `both are about to return to the Premier League`.

Who do you see as our English equivalent?

Post Edited (Mon 29 Apr 07:58)

2. Author:  EastEndTales        
Date: Mon 29th Apr 2024. 08:58

There are shades of Sunderland about us.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749

3. Author:  da_no_1        
Date: Mon 29th Apr 2024. 09:08

EastEndTales, Mon 29 Apr 08:58

This. My other team. Sakes

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"

4. Author:  EastEndTales        
Date: Mon 29th Apr 2024. 09:09

da_no_1, Mon 29 Apr 09:08

EastEndTales, Mon 29 Apr 08:58

This. My other team. Sakes

Stop complaining.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749

5. Author:  OzPar        
Date: Mon 29th Apr 2024. 09:39

I lived near Ipswich in the early `80s, when I worked in London. They were my local club during Bobby Robson`s days, and TBH they were far superior to the Pars at their 1960s best. They were early adherents to bringing foreign stars to England, and they brought a whole new dimension to the English game. Arnie Muhren and Frans Thijsen were revelations at the time; they had a relaxed but incredibly skilful and influential style that literally changed the face of English football.

If we were to look for a true comparison to the Pars, we would have to search out a club that spent most of its life in the lower tiers until it achieved success for a decade or so before, like a candle flickering out, returning to mediocrity.

Candidates...? Perhaps Burnley, Notts Forest, Norwich?

It is very difficult to compare.

Post Edited (Mon 29 Apr 09:54)

6. Author:  DBP        
Date: Mon 29th Apr 2024. 09:43

Ipswich town looking like they’ll get auto promotion to English premier league next season

I’d say we’re more like hull city…
Made some appearances in EPL in living memory but recently mostly a championship team who dropped to league 1, bounced straight back up to championship and are mid table or there abouts for promotion playoffs
Did get to a cup final ten years ago but got beat to a big premier league club (arsenal)

Post Edited (Mon 29 Apr 10:07)

7. Author:  Bandy        
Date: Mon 29th Apr 2024. 10:00

In terms of Standard - I reckon we`re closer to Barnet in the National League. Bit of a yo you club, although some big names have played for us, and have have some years where we punched well above our weight.

And Barnet, just like the Pars, seem to choke on big occasions - as happened this weekend v Solihull Moors.

8. Author:  neilholland999        
Date: Mon 29th Apr 2024. 10:07

What about Sheffield Wednesday? Relatively big club over the years but not been in the premier league for a while now.

9. Author:  weemike        
Date: Mon 29th Apr 2024. 12:25

Man utd, once successful now in the shadow of our rich neighbours but we have new astute backers 🙂

10. Author:  Paralex        
Date: Mon 29th Apr 2024. 15:37

For some reason Bradford City comes to mind, quite good but not good enough. Wee bit like their manager Neil Alexander at his latest venue after spells at Motherwell and MK Dons. But maybe this will be the making of Neil and with the experience James has gained in the past two seasons, maybe that will be the making of him and us. At least Neil guided Motherwell to European competition albeit Sligo Rovers proved to be his downfall.

11. Author:  wee eck        
Date: Mon 29th Apr 2024. 15:46

I think you mean Graham Alexander, Paralex. Wasn`t Neil Alexander our goalkeeping coach/goalie for a wee while but he couldn`t travel to Inverness to be a sub one Saturday because he had a prior engagement for ex-Rangers players to attend?!!!

12. Author:  Bletchley_Par        
Date: Mon 29th Apr 2024. 22:17

Cardiff City.

13. Author:  Paralex        
Date: Mon 29th Apr 2024. 23:15

He used to live round the corner from me wee eck. No wonder he ignored me when I called him Neil instead of Graham.

14. Author:  Livingston Par        
Date: Wed 1st May 2024. 23:41

You could make an argument for a few but Hibs = Spurs no question lol

Post your Reply

Your Message:  

By using your account you have implicitly accepted the DAFC.net Forum Rules and agree to be bound by them. You also agree that you will take sole responsibility for your post and indemnify dafc.net on all matters and costs. Refrain from making any potentially libelous comments about anyone
- - -