DAFC.net
Login:

password:  

Forum List | Off Topic

[ 1 ] -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 --      

Topic: My First School
1. Author:  GG Riva        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 07:48

My family emigrated to Scotland in 1960 and I was enrolled at Aberdour PS. It was situated on the bend between the village`s High St and Main St, next to the railway line. I vividly remember standing on the bridge, marvelling at the giant puffs of steam as the locomotives passed underneath, but I can`t picture what my first school looked like and I can`t find it on T`internet. It was knocked down and turned into a little garden when a new school was built near the Silver Sands in 1967. does anyone have a pic or link to the original building?

Nostalgia ain`t what it used to be, huh? 🤔

Not your average Sunday League player.

2. Author:  Buspasspar        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 09:08

G G Was it the one for boys with behavioural problems ? Hillside I think it was called :-o))

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were

3. Author:  veteraneastender        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 09:17

You clearly were into Thomas the Tank Engine GG !!!

Is there a local history interest group on Facebook - there is a fairly active one here ?

Post Edited (Fri 12 Jan 09:18)

4. Author:  GG Riva        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 12:25

Buspasspar, Fri 12 Jan 09:08

G G Was it the one for boys with behavioural problems ? Hillside I think it was called :-o))

You`re a bit old to be a cheeky pup, BPP. 😜

That school is still there, I think. It used to be St John Bosco`s back then, but was closed down after some pretty serious allegations were made about the Salesian Fathers who ran it. Some things never change.....

How come a Clackmannan boy knows about such a school? It wasn`t exactly on your doorstep? Hmm. 🤔

5. Author:  GG Riva        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 12:33

veteraneastender, Fri 12 Jan 09:17

You clearly were into Thomas the Tank Engine GG !!!

Is there a local history interest group on Facebook - there is a fairly active one here ?

Aye, I was completely fascinated by the steam engines back then and just round the corner from the school there was a toy shop in the High St. It had an extensive rail network in the window and a couple of trains (Triang Hornby?) constantly going around it.

Many a lunch hour did this wee boy stand there with his nose pressed against the glass, knowing full well he could never possess these magical trains, because his parents were too poor and their priorities were for life`s essentials.... 😒

6. Author:  Buspasspar        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 12:38

GG Think this could be your school .. I am not on face book so don`t know if this link works

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?

Post Edited (Fri 12 Jan 12:48)

7. Author:  LochgellyAlbert        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 14:24

Went out with a few girls that were formerly Aberdour Primary after they enlisted at Woodmill Junior High!🤔😲👹🙈😜

8. Author:  Buspasspar        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 14:26

GG Check your EEB messages

9. Author:  buffy        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 16:51

Was it bombed in the war, GG?

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”

10. Author:  GG Riva        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 16:54

buffy, Fri 12 Jan 16:51

You are definitely a cheeky pup! 😜 Either that or history wasn`t your best subject. I went to Aberdour PS from 1960-63. It definitely wisnae a pile o` rubble. 😀

11. Author:  GG Riva        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 16:58

Buspasspar, Fri 12 Jan 14:26

GG Check your EEB messages

Cheers BPP. I`ve just done that and I thought the big hoose was the school. Now I realise the big hoose was... a big hoose. 😆

After enlarging the pic, I`ve realised the "church" I had no recollection of was in fact the school. 🤣😂🤣

Auld age disnae come itsel......

12. Author:  buffy        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 17:01

😂
Is it no aboot time we had another dotnet gathering, especially afore some o ye pop yer clogs

13. Author:  GG Riva        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 18:06

buffy, Fri 12 Jan 17:01

😂
Is it no aboot time we had another dotnet gathering, especially afore some o ye pop yer clogs

I could easily fall out with some folk on here. 😠

14. Author:  Buspasspar        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 18:06

Ye could be right buffy .. I have managed to send GG a picture of New Aberdour in Aberdeenshire :-o)) .. He`s right auld age disnae come itsel

15. Author:  Buspasspar        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 18:11

Topic Originator: buffy like
Date: Fri 12 Jan 16:51

Now that made me laugh buffy .. I think it was GG that did it as he didnae have his homework

16. Author:  buffy        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 18:24

I know ye 🥰 me really, GG
Big hugs the morra

17. Author:  sammer        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 18:39

GG Riva did well to master the English language within a year since there were three distinct forms of it spoken in Aberdour. Like most native Scots I had learned to shift between the common tongue and its more polished version depending on whether I was in the playground or inside the classroom. However on entering secondary school I was confronted with a middle class form of English that went way beyond BBC English and sounded like something out of the ‘Whacko’ TV series starring Jimmy Edwards. I assume these fellow pupils had fathers working in high positions inside Rosyth Dockyard and that was why they were living in what they called ‘Abadowa.’

As a side note, I spoke to a Pars fan a couple of years ago who was brought up in Aberdour and he thought that the locals had objected to a Fish and Chip shop being opened in Aberdour. My memory is that until at least the early 1970s there was a Fish and Chip café at the top of Shore Road which served over the counter. Has the village been gentrified?

sammer

18. Author:  LochgellyAlbert        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 19:26

Was the objection to a chip shop not in Dalgety Bay?

My father always wanted to buy a house in Dovecot Park, inside the iron gates!

Post Edited (Fri 12 Jan 19:28)

19. Author:  GG Riva        
Date: Fri 12th Jan 2024. 19:49

sammer, Fri 12 Jan 18:39

GG Riva did well to master the English language within a year since there were three distinct forms of it spoken in Aberdour. Like most native Scots I had learned to shift between the common tongue and its more polished version depending on whether I was in the playground or inside the classroom. However on entering secondary school I was confronted with a middle class form of English that went way beyond BBC English and sounded like something out of the ‘Whacko’ TV series starring Jimmy Edwards. I assume these fellow pupils had fathers working in high positions inside Rosyth Dockyard and that was why they were living in what they called ‘Abadowa.’

As a side note, I spoke to a Pars fan a couple of years ago who was brought up in Aberdour and he thought that the locals had objected to a Fish and Chip shop being opened in Aberdour. My memory is that until at least the early 1970s there was a Fish and Chip café at the top of Shore Road which served over the counter. Has the village been gentrified?

I think it took me rather more than a year, Sammer. I started in P1, almost 3 years older than my classmates, with no English whatsoever. The other kids were nice to me, but there was a German lad in the school who was mercilessly bullied, mentally and physically, on an almost daily basis. I think WW2 was still fresh in everyone`s mind back then.

I was fast tracked through my primary education, so that by the time I was in P7, I`d caught up with my peers. By this time, we were in Dunfermline and I was taken to see the primary Head by my teacher, for "hiding behind my language." My crime? I was unable to decide whether a subordinate clause in a compound sentence was adverbial or adjectival. 😔 Nowadays, I think kids studying H English might find themselves in the same boat.

Not sure how we got into chip shops, but I do know the good inhabitants of Crossford managed to keep them at bay until fairly recently.

20. Author:  EastEndTales        
Date: Sat 13th Jan 2024. 12:12

Both my schools are gone.
Original Kings Road burned down few years ago by some idiot.

DHS also now replaced.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749

[ 1 ] -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 --      

Post your Reply

Your Message:  

By using your account you have implicitly accepted the DAFC.net Forum Rules and agree to be bound by them. You also agree that you will take sole responsibility for your post and indemnify dafc.net on all matters and costs. Refrain from making any potentially libelous comments about anyone
- - -