Date: Fri 16th Feb 2024. 21:37

Watering Hole.
Carlsberg

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749

Post Edited (Fri 16 Feb 21:38)

2. Author:  Jeffery        
Date: Fri 16th Feb 2024. 22:53

Probably the same from the same place, about the same price.

Had to hide in the pool room while that one mate who could actually grow facial hair was sent to the bar.

3. Author:  widtink        
Date: Sat 17th Feb 2024. 02:40

The green tree in Bruce street.
Newcastle brown ale.
Think I was 15 or 16.
Walked home to cairneyhill that night as I spent all my paper round money on beer.
Good times

Admin

Post Edited (Sat 17 Feb 02:41)

4. Author:  Dave_1885        
Date: Sat 17th Feb 2024. 05:40

Montys at about 17 - got away with it for 3/4 weeks till we went in and got the “now lads, I know youve been in here the last few weeks, but Im going to have to see some ID” - claimed we forgot it, walked to the Watering Hole and got served there 😂

5. Author:  Roger Daltrey        
Date: Sat 17th Feb 2024. 06:00

Watering Hole. 14 years old. 1991. My pal got served.

Maybe Carlsberg. Maybe Tennents or Forsters. Can`t remember.

6. Author:  GG4        
Date: Sat 17th Feb 2024. 09:21

Watering hole for me and pals. I couldnt believe i got served at 14. Yeah you had to hide but remember old man Trotter? and the barman Lindsay?

Sound as feck. They knew we were underage lol.

Guttered on pints of XXXX.

7. Author:  veteraneastender        
Date: Sat 17th Feb 2024. 09:22

Tennents Lager back in the Middle Ages - before I knew any better.

Been an ale man since working in Maclays of blessed memory as a student.

That was where I learned that a barrel was actually a legal measure of 36 Imperial gallons rather than a generic name for bulk beer which it had become in common usage.

8. Author:  Buspasspar        
Date: Sat 17th Feb 2024. 09:37

Best 2 under age pubs back in the day were Crams (upstairs} and the Prim in Alloa(back room)

My first legal pub was the Royal Oak in Clacks I also worked there part time
10 pints of heavy (Diamond export) or 8 pints of Skol lager for £1 aye £1

You could leave the house with £1 have 6 pints and a few games of 3 card brag
Fish supper 1/6d on the way home skint but happy

The County Hotel across the road only sold heavy and it was the superb Maclays that vee mentioned .. It really was a special beer .. brewed in Alloa next to the Thistle pub

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were

9. Author:  AdamAntsParsStripe        
Date: Sat 17th Feb 2024. 13:22

Palace, Rosyth £1.78 a pint.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte

10. Author:  LochgellyAlbert        
Date: Sat 17th Feb 2024. 15:01

Working Xmas School holidays 1967 for Woodrows, delivering through Methil way.

Every delivery "Would you like a pint?"

Hard work that day!🍻🍻🍻🍻

11. Author:  Andrew283        
Date: Sat 17th Feb 2024. 18:27

Rockers bar before the 2006 final. 14 at the time and still have some hearing loss

12. Author:  GG Riva        
Date: Sun 18th Feb 2024. 07:52

A classmate with a provisional licence "borrowed" his dad`s car,picked up 3 of us and we headed to the Halfway House in Kingseat. We sat with our pints of lager at the far end from the bar. Five minutes later, two cops in uniform came in. One had a good look around and the other bought a packet of fags. We tried to melt into the background and not wet ourselves. Four huge sighs of relief when they left. I hadn`t known we were going for a pint and had grabbed my school blazer, complete with braid and prefects badge.

My pal scratched his dad`s car when he drove it back into the garage. 😁

Not your average Sunday League player.

13. Author:  ZiggyB        
Date: Sun 18th Feb 2024. 21:06

GG lol do pubs ever get raided these days by the Polis?? My first was the Tap Goth which doesn`t exist now but would now be part of the Kingsgate

14. Author:  OzPar        
Date: Mon 19th Feb 2024. 02:18

Great story, GG.

I was tall at 16 and looked 18. My first pint was with my grandfather in a pub on Byers Road in Glasgow called The Curlers. My Grandad thrived on a wee bit of mischief...

:)

15. Author:  evo!        
Date: Tue 20th Feb 2024. 12:49

I was also a Hole (Watering hole first pinter) like many others.

Carslberg was £2.00, export £2.20. Aftershock i think was £2 as well, began with this pattern i think age 16.

Great pub, pool tables, music, good crowd, and a beer garden. Miss the old place.

BEAST!

16. Author:  KirklistonPar        
Date: Tue 20th Feb 2024. 19:35

Buying my first pint would have been from the east port bar or the old inn back in ‘93. Had many a great night in the east port and was lucky enough to enjoy a lock in with super Johnny Watson in the little library bar through the back. He even let us attempt to pour our own pints. I do remember being refused entry to sinky’s on my 18th even though I’d been drinking in there a few times.

17. Author:  veteraneastender        
Date: Wed 21st Feb 2024. 09:14

The Old Inn was where the club was originally formed I believe ?

I discovered recently that my great grandfather was publican for around 5 years about the turn of the 1900s.

Maybe an early Pars fan !!!

18. Author:  red-star-par        
Date: Wed 21st Feb 2024. 10:16

veteraneastender, Wed 21 Feb 09:14

The Old Inn was where the club was originally formed I believe ?

I discovered recently that my great grandfather was publican for around 5 years about the turn of the 1900s.

Maybe an early Pars fan !!!

If only he had passed on why we were called The Pars.

That`s still a bit of a mystery, despite the great thread we had on it. You would think if there was one definitive answer even in the early days, then that would have been consistently the story told. You would also think someone would have written it down somewhere, get it noted, set in stone as it were

19. Author:  Parboiled        
Date: Wed 21st Feb 2024. 13:58

1966 Old Inn, window table, aged 16. Three of us lunch time escapees from day release at Lauder Tech.
Pint of light, horrible.
Barman had a moustache. The pie was so old it was growing one.

20. Author:  Luxembourg Par        
Date: Wed 21st Feb 2024. 16:17

First pint in a bar was the Penny Farthing on Kdy High St
16 year old, working part time at Safeway, directly across the road, for the princely sum of £1.05 per hour.

My new best mate (work colleague) took me and my first wage packet of £8.50 over the road for one, then up to Bentleys - Thursday was pay day.

Got absolutely wasted - sure it was something mental like 50p a pint and 50p a Southern Comfort and lemonade - £5 worth purchased in the happy hour.
Next day at school wasn’t fun…

[ 1 ] -- 2 --      

Post your Reply

Your Message:  

By using your account you have implicitly accepted the DAFC.net Forum Rules and agree to be bound by them. You also agree that you will take sole responsibility for your post and indemnify dafc.net on all matters and costs. Refrain from making any potentially libelous comments about anyone
- - -