[ 1 ] -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 --      

Topic: Calcutta Cup
1. Author:  wee eck        
Date: Sat 24th Feb 2024. 18:34

Four in a row! Hello! Hello!

2. Author:  Bandy        
Date: Sat 24th Feb 2024. 18:44

Superb stuff?

Anyone know where I can get some van Der merwe tartan?

3. Author:  Dave_1885        
Date: Sat 24th Feb 2024. 18:56

Won 5 of last 7 and should have won the draw when we got in front! Incredible stuff just need to push it to a Championship win now

4. Author:  StevenPar77        
Date: Sat 24th Feb 2024. 20:43

Damn that French `try` . It`s always good to put England to bed.

http://www.agiftfor.net

5. Author:  DunfyDave        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 08:40

Van Der Merwe`s Great, Great Grandmother must be very proud.

Maybe Rhino Pars can assist with the family tree ancestry 🤔

DunfyDave

6. Author:  The One Who Knocks        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 09:44

Don`t think his ancestry has anything to do with him representing Scotland. Something to do with him playing for Edinburgh. Rugby has a very weird set up regarding who can play for who unless I`m not understanding it correctly.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed

7. Author:  Dave_1885        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 10:07

The One Who Knocks, Sun 25 Feb 09:44

Don`t think his ancestry has anything to do with him representing Scotland. Something to do with him playing for Edinburgh. Rugby has a very weird set up regarding who can play for who unless I`m not understanding it correctly.

Yup, 3 years of residency at Edinburgh. Incredible to think he’s only been available since 2020

8. Author:  wee eck        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 10:13

For some reason Scotland seems to get slated for applying the qualification rules which apply to all rugby-playing nations. Players can qualify based on residency for a minimum period as well as their place of birth or that of their parents or grandparents.

9. Author:  DunfyDave        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 10:33

Every nation does it.

The Italians had a lot of South Africans playing for them.

A lot of the All Blacks are Samoan`s and am pretty sure Jona Lomu was Samoan.

Scotland have four South Africans in the team. Steyn, Nel, Schoeman and Van Der Merwe and Tiopulote is Australian.

I met Schoeman at Murrayfield and we had a good laugh whilst conversing with him in his native tongue Afrikaans whilst he struggled with his English but plays for Scotland 🤔😁

DunfyDave

10. Author:  The One Who Knocks        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 10:46

Does Scotland do it more or less than the other home nations?

11. Author:  wee eck        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 11:02

`Does Scotland do it more or less than the other home nations?`

That seems to be the inference. I saw a comment on social media that Scotland had 20 players in their squad who weren`t born in Scotland but I don`t know if that`s right. Fin Smith, who came on as a replacement for England, has Scottish parents but was raised in England so qualifies for both. I think Cameron Redpath is in a similar position but he chose to play for Scotland. The bigger nations tend to benefit from higher immigration to these countries so most teams comprise players of various ethnic origins. I think they increased the minimum residency period recently but I think you can still get a situation where a player could play for more than one nation during his career.

12. Author:  Buspasspar        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 11:37

We need all the help we can get :-

England has 1,900 rugby union clubs; 6,060 referees; 362,319 pre-teen male players; 698,803 teen male players; 121,480 senior male players (total male players 1,182,602)

Scotland has 241 rugby union clubs; 343 referees; 7,556 pre-teen male players; 13,402 teen male players; 10,556 senior male players (total male players 31,514)

We do OK considering the player base we have

ETA .. I thought Russell had his best game for Scotland yesterday .. his goal kicking was top drawer and he put in a fair few tackles

I think since making him Captain has calmed him down .. He is not trying so much fancy stuff .. just doing the basics very well

Post Edited (Sun 25 Feb 11:48)

13. Author:  Dave_1885        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 11:50

Jack Dempsey played 14 times for Australia before changing to Scotland.

New Zealand and Australia as bad for it with Pacific Islanders really.

Scotland in rugby are like the African Nations in football, who take a lot of players born in France because they wont get a game for France. 🤷🏻‍♂️

14. Author:  Jeffery        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 12:48

I didn`t realise Cameron was born in France as his dad was playing there at the time.

Really couldn`t see his dad letting him play for anyone else!

15. Author:  DunfyDave        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 13:26

I remember being in South Africa for the 1995 Rugby World Cup with South Africa lifting the trophy after a tense extra-time final against the All Blacks

The South African team consisted 100% local South Africans whilst the All Blacks consisted of several Samoan`s including a certain superstar Jona Lomu.

The All Blacks also had one of the worlds best kickers playing for them at the time, a South African called Andrew Merhtens

DunfyDave

16. Author:  The One Who Knocks        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 13:33

Jonah Lomu was born in New Zealand and spent most of his formative years there including all his rugby playing youth years.

17. Author:  DBP        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 13:43

Its an interesting question and for me, I would argue that, if I am a citizen of a country, and I make that country my home, then I should be entitled to (and would want to) represent that country.

If I use Ireland as an example, residency rules are three years out of five and an intention to remain in the country (along with police checks etc) then you can get citizenship - so why shouldn’t that person be able to turn out for his adopted nation?

18. Author:  DunfyDave        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 14:26

The One Who Knocks, Sun 25 Feb 13:33

Jonah Lomu was born in New Zealand and spent most of his formative years there including all his rugby playing youth years.

My mistake, apologies.

DunfyDave

19. Author:  Parboiled        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 15:07

Humza gets his greasy paws on the cup after fans have all gone.. scared of getting booed like Sturgeon did?

Post Edited (Sun 25 Feb 15:09)

20. Author:  The One Who Knocks        
Date: Sun 25th Feb 2024. 15:12

Have some time off Parboiled. Touch grass as the kids say these days.

[ 1 ] -- 2 -- 3 -- 4 --      

Post your Reply

Your Message:  

By using your account you have implicitly accepted the DAFC.net Forum Rules and agree to be bound by them. You also agree that you will take sole responsibility for your post and indemnify dafc.net on all matters and costs. Refrain from making any potentially libelous comments about anyone
- - -