Login:

password:  

Forum List | Politics Forum

[ 1 ] -- 2 -- 3 --      

Topic: Greens and SNP split
1. Author:  Dave_1885        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 09:15

As above.

Emergency meeting called this morning at Bute House and by 9am the coalition government has collapsed.

Are the SNP really starting to unravel in Scotland? Are we about to see Labour push back in to power?

2. Author:  The One Who Knocks        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 09:23

Let`s hope so. It would be best for Scotland and I say that as someone who has never voted Labour. It`s not good for the country for a government to simply be re-elected regardless of performance and nobody can reasonably argue that the snow performance over the last few years has been anything other than woeful. The question is do enough people love Scotland more than they love the notion of independence?

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed

3. Author:  LochgellyAlbert        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 09:41

Labour in?

No thanks, just following the Tory mantra!

Would be run from London 🤬

4. Author:  wee eck        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 09:45

`It`s not good for the country for a government to simply be re-elected regardless of performance...`

Some of us would say that about the Westminster elections. The last one was effectively called as a referendum on Brexit.

My impression is that a lot of SNP voters have become disaffected with the SNP because of the agreement with the Greens and their perceived undue influence on government policies so I don`t see that it`s necessarily an electoral disaster for the SNP.

5. Author:  Parboiled        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 10:00

Perhaps those creeps Harvie and Greer rubbishing the Cass report had something to with it.

Lorna Slater will be sadly missed from the front bench though, such raving bonkeroony brightened up many a dull day

6. Author:  jake89        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 11:35

My view would be the Greens had far too much sway and lost their way with too much focus on non environmental issues. They have a great local rep (don`t recall her name but she`s a Pars supporter) but the Green leadership seems to have gone for a very narrow focus that disregards the bigger societal issues in Scotland.

7. Author:  The One Who Knocks        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 12:09

I assume then that the SNP were also ignoring these greater societal issues as I`m sure the Greens would have gotten fully behind any initiatives to tackle them.

8. Author:  DBP        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 13:38

don`t know what the greens were playing at TBH...

their message to SNP was along the lines of, we don`t know if we want to stay in gov. with you given recent announcements - so you just sit in limbo for a few weeks while we decide!?!?

no wonder SNP got together quick smart and told them to do one!

edited to say it`s a bit dissapointing as I agree with green`s objectives and have voted for them in past

Post Edited (Thu 25 Apr 13:44)

9. Author:  wee eck        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 14:04

So the Tories are going to force a vote of no confidence in Yousaf. If he loses that isn`t a General Election likely in which case the Tories would probably lose seats. Isn`t a vote of confidence a bit of a risk of an o.g. for Douglas Ross?

10. Author:  Tenruh        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 14:42

I think this is more to do with last week`s event.
I`d be inclined to think our leader is trying to rid himself of the deserved title "continuity candidate"
No doubt we`ll find out in due course

11. Author:  Tenruh        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 15:07

wee eck, Thu 25 Apr 14:04

So the Tories are going to force a vote of no confidence in Yousaf. If he loses that isn`t a General Election likely in which case the Tories would probably lose seats. Isn`t a vote of confidence a bit of a risk of an o.g. for Douglas Ross?[/quote

Won`t effect DR personally as he doesn`t take a wage from the Scottish Executive.
Looks like Ash Regans presently the most powerful politician at Holyrood.

[url]https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-people-we-dont-want/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1hb1SxYTY_I-j2LiAg3UhVBrpzbZUdITet33Z6oiBjeJrOl_GTd4mb3Lo_aem_ATkIk52j-AOGQ_nI__5aSlSRpTnMbGJ5zzt9O0TTCcVlm2OUcT6M4W6R56hH1wnbj5oDnv3r8aWTXzKV7_PS0-Tj[/url]

12. Author:  wee eck        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 15:19

I wasn`t suggesting it would affect him personally, I was questioning the tactics. Help ma Boab if Ash Regan is the most powerful politician at Holyrood.

13. Author:  Tenruh        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 15:42

wee eck, Thu 25 Apr 15:19

I wasn`t suggesting it would affect him personally, I was questioning the tactics. Help ma Boab if Ash Regan is the most powerful politician at Holyrood.

Funny old game politics

[url]https://wingsoverscotland.com/the-asking-of-the-question/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR11sUsdgk8sDdesTKeh5uBpU0jXvXqN9zc5FGWJW3WJNhZgYMmkdoLazmw_aem_ATnkJOx9iVyMieCnY3JKHO4nyFL4qEz_tijyoY-W-uSjmZ5yfwpNCnEB4m7bYXCtVTfeWyd0s5x2zlE974SV0WrG[/url]

14. Author:  jake89        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 16:57

Ash Regan 🤣 You`ll need to let us know when your Fringe show is on, Tenruh. That was a cracker.

An election in the near future would be great news for Labour. Terrible news for the Tories though.

To give additional context to my earlier comments, they relate to the Greens moving their focus to be more around LGBTQ concerns. These are valid concerns but in my opinion it feels odd that these are raised primarily by the Greens rather than being seen as issues for ALL parties to resolve. The issues also feel minor in comparison to much bigger problems with premature death, poverty and substance abuse. Of course, a big part of this is the narrative coming from the press so I admit my view is likely somewhat biased by this.

15. Author:  red-star-par        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 17:24

I agree with many of the policies of the Greens with regard to environmental issues and have voted for them in the past, normally as my second choice. I do feel they have gone a bit far on LGBT+ issues, and dragged the SNP along in pandering to them on these.

I don`t think many people truly support these minority issues privately, but no one really speaks out because the Trans lobby are vociferous in shouting down any discussion, it`s a vote loser.

The First Minister got it right in terminating the agreement in my opinion. Now he needs to work on bringing the Alba party onboard and uniting the movement

16. Author:  McCaig`s Tower        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 17:49

Normally it`s thought to be bad politics to propose a VONC unless you are confident you will win, as losing tends to strengthen the position of the person you are notionally trying to get rid of.

But Douglas Ross might be in a win-win situation.

Win the VONC, and it`s embarrassing for the SNP, and Kate Forbes may have to take over when she doesn`t really want to. (Although I believe it is possible for the FM just to ignore it). I don`t think there would necessarily be a GE.

Lose the VONC and Humza`s safe for a few more months, right at time the men in grey kilts are plotting to have him binned.

In the meantime, there`s 5 days of bad news stories.

17. Author:  jake89        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 17:57

Ross is an eejit. He says the Greens shouldn`t have been in power but then calls a vote of no confidence in the person who just removed them from power. He`s a cretin of the highest order.

I think this is potentially great news for the SNP as the Greens had tarnished things. I am 100% behind transitioning away from oil and gas but it needs to handled properly. Suggestions of things like banning gas boilers without a reasonable alternative (don`t suggest heat pump!) isn`t logical. Neither is importing fossil fuels from other countries whilst banning extraction here.

18. Author:  wee eck        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 17:59

There`s bad news stories every day about the SNP regardless, thanks to our media, so no change there.

19. Author:  The One Who Knocks        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 18:52

When Labour are likely in power, albeit through a coalition with someone, then there will also be plenty of media coverage on their gaffes and incompetence.
Don`t think Yousaf had any choice here and has played his hand as well as he could have. The General Election will be a chastening experience for an snp now so used to weighing the votes rather than counting them. Time yet though for it to be turned around before the Holyrood elections but I`d imagine it won`t be with Yousaf as leader.

20. Author:  jake89        
Date: Thu 25th Apr 2024. 20:22

The only option for Labour would be Lib Dems. I see it more likely of SNP going with Libs. Yousaf knew this would happen. If he didn`t have a plan B or confidence then he`d have stuck it out for another year THEN bumped the Greens.

[ 1 ] -- 2 -- 3 --      

Post your Reply

Your Message:  

By using your account you have implicitly accepted the DAFC.net Forum Rules and agree to be bound by them. You also agree that you will take sole responsibility for your post and indemnify dafc.net on all matters and costs. Refrain from making any potentially libelous comments about anyone
- - -